Sunday, December 14, 2008

12 Days 'till Christmas...

So we have 12 days until Christmas and I'm working my fingies off on my true loves' presents. My project basket is bursting with crocheted Christmas magic.


If you're wondering who that green stripey guy is at the top of the basket, that's my piece de resistance! He's Brobee, a character from Yo Gabba Gabba, a kid's show on Nickelodeon that's quite the hit these days. (Interestingly enough, the show's creators are none other than the Aquabats. You remember the Aquabats? The ska, pop-punk, kooky band from the 90's?)


Yes, so Brobee caught my attention at first because he looked like a cinch to make. He doesn't have many colors, so I could easily make him using yarn I already had. He also has no tiny details such as whiskers or eyelashes, which sometimes don't age very well since yarn can fray. And his stocky form meant that he would be a really durable toy.


I also considered making Muno, the red cyclops guy, but ...meh. There was something about Brobee that called to me. I can't quite put my finger on it. Something about his look that I related to.


But then when I watched this video, I was sold. What a character! See if you can watch the same without:

  1. Getting the song stuck in your head all evening

  2. Feeling genuinely sorry for the carrots (I mean, call me a sucker, but I was sad for them)

  3. Wondering smugly if there will be a "party" in his colon with that undigested chicken bone n'all

4 comments:

Cami said...

Yo Gabba Gabba makes me frightened and a little paranoid. Are they trying to brainwash me? Are they on drugs? What's up? Same with Teletubbies.

But hey, your dude looks AWESOME! We've been playing with our Anne originals forever. Santa is a total hit, but Leah is old news because she is a regular plaything. You'll be happy to know the giraffe has made a serious comeback as well. You are awesome master toymaker!

Holly said...

Great work on Brobee--it's perfect. I showed Lydia the video, and she says, "I want to do that one again. That one again, please." Is it just me, or is Brian the voice of the carrots and green beans?

Holly said...

Lydia thinks the carrots & green beans want to go to the potty. Oh well, at least it got her onthe throne!

Made by Melissa said...

My son LOVES You Gabba Gabba. Its awesome to hear a not-quite-2-yr-old singing the theme song. We are actually watching that very episode right now. Awesome Brobee! He looks great.